Biscuitland

Light and fluffy, yet filling!

Monday, October 09, 2006

Asian Food Week, Take Two: Meal One

Yes, I'm making Asian foods again this week. I think I'm obsessed right now. Today, all three of the Biscuits met SisterBiscuit for lunch at Azza. The website looks very fancy but really, it's a nice simple restaurant. I ate the lunch special, grilled pork tenderloin medallions with spinach mashed potatoes. It also came with a cheese soup with one large cheese ravioli and a dessert of walnut/honey cake called "pernik." All that came to 100kc, which is about 4 dollars and twenty cents, depending on the current exchange rate. (If you want to see all that written in Czech, go to the website and click "poledni menu/lunch menu" and see the listing for today. I ordered "Varianta I.")I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures. SisterBiscuit had to part ways after the meal and we had errands to do. We walked up to Planet DVD to rent some movies: Another Meltdown (Bi xie lan tian), The Family Stone, and Bionicle: Mask of Light for LittleBiscuit. We went down another block to Fruits de France but stopped first at the little potraviny across the street. It's run by a Vietnamese family and offers good produce and other products that help with my Asian food obsession. After the veggies, fruits, and cheeses were purchased, we all decided to walk home rather than take the metro. We stopped by another international food store which sells nuts, seeds and other yummy things. We bought sesame seeds, light soy sauce, caramel fudge squares and some various dried fruits for this week's dessert. The walk home was nice. We ambled down towards our street and LittleBiscuit picked clover and berries in the park to toss in the fountain. We gave her some hellers to make her wishes. I wonder what she wished for? So. On to dinner. I was going to make crispy pork wontons. First, the recipe seemed a bit off because I had way more filling than the recipe called for. The size it (the recipe) suggested for the filling was too big for the wonton wrappers as well. I decided to halve the filling and then test six the way the recipe indicated. They didn't look appetizing At All. I decided to just make wonton soup with the rest. The filling was drier and spicier but I hoped it would work out OK (and it did!). For the entree, I made dan dan mian or spicy Szechuan noodles with sesame sauce. I can't find a recipe that is exactly like the one I used but you can look here to find many variations. After everything was cooked, I poured the sauce in the bowl, then added the noodles (I used udon because I had it on hand), the beef and finally crushed roasted peanuts. It was delicious! It's one of our favorites so far. It was way too spicy for Soph so she had lingot and baguette, with the offer of plain noodles if she wanted. She declined. As soon as I get my ass up out of this seat, we'll all play Monopoly Junior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home