Biscuitland

Light and fluffy, yet filling!

Monday, August 21, 2006

Scrambled

My mind is so jumbled today! I can't seem to focus on anything. I'm all awhirl (I love that word). I woke up a bit later than I wanted this morning. Sophia was, and still is, in a wonderful mood. So sunny and sweet. I headed out to run a few errands before I even showered, which is unusual for me. I bought some eggs while I was out so Ray could make pancakes to go with lunch. We like breakfast-type food for lunch or dinner. I can't bring myself to eat eggs in the morning. I feel ill if I try. Today, I scrambed some eggs with freshly-ground pepper, a teensy bit of salt and marjoram. That's the secret ingredient: marjoram. Try it. You'll like it! We munched down on the eggs, pancakes and bacon. I love English bacon. It's so much yummier than American-style bacon, which I could never cook properly. Either it was so crunchy that it crumbled or undercooked and disgusting to chew. English bacon is really like a slice of pork. It's delicious. I order ours from an expat butcher, so it's all local meat. It's more expensive but we don't eat meat at home that often. And his stuff is worth it. Delish. I keep rereading my post here and it's so distracted and barely readable. I can't seem to communicate today. Yesterday, I spent some time organizing and tidying up the bedroom. I cleaned off the windowsills, which the maid seems to have ignored, and tied the curtains back. With the bed made and the curtains open, the room brightened immediately. It felt much better to be in there. Soph and Ray hung out on the bed, playing MarioKart on DS, while I dusted and re-arranged and decluttered. I still have more I want to do but it looks infinitely nicer. I have my minimalist look back. Yah! Last night, we didn't have time to go to dinner before Broken Flowers, so we ate here afterwards. It's conveniently located beside the entrance to the cinema. The food wasn't spectacular but it wasn't horrible. However, they have decent wines by the glass, which I like because the two of us don't want to drink a whole bottle by ourselves. Ray and I enjoyed the movie. We like Bill Murray as an actor. He does "world weary" well, doesn't he? However, it seemed as if he didn't put forth much effort in this film. I realize the film called for him to use "economy of movement" and perhaps to show that something was going on underneath. I don't think he pulled that off as wel as he could have. And Ray feels he's typecasting himself, playing too many similar characters. Meh. Doesn't matter. Because Bill Murray on his worst day is better than loads of other actors on their best. At dinner, we talked about the movie (God, how I love a post-mortem) while sipping Pinot Grigio, our favorite warm weather wine, and waiting for our food. We agreed that it doesn't matter who sent the letter because the movie ultimately isn't about that. Of course, speculation is fun. If it had to be any one of the characters presented, we would choose "Dora." I loved the relationships and the quiet and the music. We loved Jeffrey Wright in his role as Winston. We couldn't figure out where we'd seen Jeffrey Wright before. He seemed so familiar. I just looked it up and discovered he was Basquiat! We saw that film last year and were blown away. His work is definitely worth examining. When we returned home, we chatted with the sitter a bit before saying goodbye. We hung out with Sophia, because she always sleeps better when we do, before setting her up in her bed with toys and a movie. She has commandeered our travel-sized DVD player, which now has a scratched surface, rendering it unusable to me. I can't stand distracting marks on a screen when I'm watching a movie. Before I go, I must admit that I'm addicted to this pop song and I feel like I'm a teenager when I hear it. Thanks, BackDormBoys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home