Biscuitland

Light and fluffy, yet filling!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Dessert

I've been doing a lot of baking lately. See what happens when the air gets even the slightest bit chillier? I head for the carbs and heavier meals. I found some croissant dough at the nearest Albert's. I love it because I can make a fast, easy dessert in no time. Just cut it up, add some "innards," roll it up and stick it in the oven! This summer, I used some yummy jams and spreads from M & S. But I was craving chocolate so here's what I made: It looks rather like a snail with some black tongue sticking out, doesn't it? But trust me, it was good! For date night this week, Mr. Biscuit and I went to Le Patio. We'd never been upstairs in the proper restaurant before. We usually just grab a quick lunch downstairs in the cafe part of the building. The decor is lovely! I got some pics but they came out grainy and unappealing. Just one picture looked decent. I ordered "Moroccon chicken Tajine with olives and saffron:" Friday, I made a curry vegetable lentil soup for lunch (see the steam?!): For Saturday's dinner, I used the leftover chicken breast, from the braised chicken dish made earlier this week, in a recipe for chicken papadoris. I especially liked the toasted pine nuts in this dish. Today, I served some leftover soup with warmed slices of cheddar/apple/walnut bread. It was delicious! Movies seen recently: The Constant Gardener--a good movie but not quite great. I was disappointed because I liked the subject matter, the plot and the acting. Yet, it didn't quite gel into the masterpiece it was touted to be. I think I expect too much from movies sometimes... Little Miss Sunshine--(seen in cinema) Brilliant! Hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing. Handled even slightly differently, this movie could have easily fallen apart, been weighed down with over-sentimentality and just overall seemed ridiculous. But this film works! I especially loved the bit about the horn. That could have been too much. It could have felt unreal. Yet it all worked. I loved this film. I will definitely be buying this one! The Devil Wears Prada-- (seen in cinema) Saw this at the CineParty and it was okay. It was what I expected. I went in order to see Meryl Streep and the clothes. I covet that gorgeous gray pencil skirt Anne Hathaway's character, Andie, is wearing in the scene with Nigel in the Paris hotel. I want that skirt. Bad. The Emerald Forest--Great film. Understated, not at all heavy-handed. I even didn't mind Powers Booth, who can seem wooden and distant onscreen. Carandiru--Did I mention this movie already? It's about the horrible conditions in a São Paulo prison, as witnessed by a visiting doctor doing AIDS research in the penitentiary's clinic. It isn't a documentary but it feels like it. Still, a documentary would have been a little more brutal in showing just how terrible this place was. The film is almost upbeat in the beginning, giving you the background to a few of the inmates in short flashback vignettes. Don't be fooled by how slow and sometimes humorous the first 3/4 is...it turns ugly and inhuman at the end. The doctor portrayed in the film was instrumental in getting the prison demolished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home